Nearly every advert you read will proclaim that the house removal company advertising their services are:
‘The best removal company in the UK’
‘The cheapest removal company in London’
‘The most trusted furniture removal firm in the Country’
But those titles cannot legitimately belong to nearly each and every home removal company.
So what is the difference between home removal companies? Are removal companies all the same? How do you pick a reliable removal company?
Knowing how to choose the best removal company is vital to a smooth and easy home moving experience.
At the School of Moving Home, our best friends in the playground this term is going to be Comparison and Analysis, teaching us how to find and compare removal companies.
Comparison and Analysis will guide us, offering us advice on finding the best removal firms and showing us how to avoid home removal company scams, those who just want our pocket money, and will scarper off across the playing fields never to be seen again.
So let’s take a peek at how our removal companies’ school report will look before we find out how to award the ticks and crosses, or even a gold star or two.
Removal Company Comparison Chart Headings
- First Impressions from initial contact
- Professional attitude to in-home moving survey
- Inventory of items to be moved made?
- A detailed plan for moving day offered
- Did the surveyor answer all your questions satisfactorily?
- Removal cost
- What are the payment methods?
- What are the terms of payment?
- Packing Costs
- Were packing materials included in the above cost?
- Do they offer specialist packing materials or services? (e.g. Piano)
- What additional services were offered?
- Is there anything you own that they cannot move?
- Is any discount offered?
- How established is the company?
- What is the company rating on review websites?
- Do they use only company staff – not temps?
- What insurance was offered?
- Is the company a member of a professional body (BAR or NGRS)
- Do they have a complaints procedure?
- Do they have a Storage facility?
- Overall impression
You may also like to read: Moving Brokers: What You Need to Know and Why. Moving brokers are middlemen, they take your booking and organise your move for you, but they may not be the company that actually moves you. Find out the pros and cons of booking your home move through a broker and what the pitfalls can be.
Now we know what information we are looking for, let us discover how to find a trusted removal company and award those gold stars.
Which home removal firm is the cheapest in ………….?
Cheap and Good are not normally best friends in this school.
If cost is your only concern then you could head for the back of the classifieds, but consider carefully whether you would entrust all your worldly possessions to an unknown man in a van.
You could hire a cheap mover who causes damage to your furniture for example which will wipe out any savings you have made in an instant.
Of course, there are very good and trustworthy man and van operators as well as very poor removal firms, but what is important is that your removal costs offer you value for money.
Cheaper operators will usually save money by hiring unskilled labour or not using wrap and padding to protect your things during the move.
Consider if saving money is worth the upset and stress that it may cause you on moving day.
The safest way to compare home removal costs is to first get a quote using an online home removal cost estimator.
There is a simple online form to complete, or a free-phone number to call, to obtain a home moving estimate from up to four reputable home removal companies.
The only information you will need to generate those estimates is:
- The date you wish to move (an approximate date at this stage is acceptable).
- The number of bedrooms the home you are moving out of has.
- The postcode you are moving from.
- The postcode you are moving to.
- Your contact details.
By using an online quote estimator you can be sure that the removal companies that contact you are reviewed by real home movers just like you, and that the home removal estimating website has checked that the removal firms are legitimate companies.
You will usually receive the home removal quotes via email or telephone, typically within 20 minutes of making the request.
Once you have your no-obligation quotes you can decide if your budget stretches to hiring a full-service removal company, or you will pack your things yourself and get a company to move and transport your things, or whether the move is so small and local that you can do it all yourself.
You may also like to read: Online Home Removal Cost Estimates: Your Questions Answered. Find out whether online home moving estimates are reliable, how and why to get an online quote, whether you can you trust the removal firms who will contact you, and more are answered in this guide.